Monday, July 8, 2013

Gorgeous in Gig Harbor

Today was a beautiful sunny day in Gig Harbor.  Kathe got the bright idea to take me to a dog groomer and thus save me the humiliation of being dumped into the kitchen sink again.  It only took a about an hour and I was my beautiful self again.  Camping takes a lot out of a doggie like me, I am always coming home with seeds, hitchhikers, and twigs in my hair, and even though Kathe tries her best, I was beginning to look a little worse for the effort.

Jim went for a very difficult bike ride today and Kathe was glad she stayed home and worked on her needlepoint.  His ride was 8% grade in several spots and one hill was a 10% grade. He came home tired and happy, and probably glad he rode alone.

We learned a little history about the town and how it was named Gig Harbor.  Until 1841 the harbor was known only to the Nisqually and other Indian tribes who fished in the harbor.  When the Wiles expedition encountered a storm while charting the area in small boats called gigs.  The captain's gig took shelter in the harbor during a sudden storm and thus they named it Gig Harbor.

This picture shows the harbor and Mount Rainer in the background. Sort of looks like a cloud floating, but it's a mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment