Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Historical Cheyenne


Hey, this is supposed to be "Annie's Vacation."  Yesterday it was all we, we, we! Well, what about me, me, ME?  What did I do while they were off sightseeing?  I had a great time that's what.  I ate, I slept, I played ball, and I went to the dog park.  Best of all, I spent my day in the air conditioned coach and they were out sweating in the heat!  It was over 100 degrees both days in Cheyenne.


Kathe and Jim returned to the Depot Museum today to see the model railroad exhibit they missed yesterday.  It was the an incredible display of small Wyoming towns linked together by rail.  The model maker created the tiny wooden buildings from photographs taken in the 1930's.  It was all built on HO-N3 scale and it filled a 20' x 30' room.

The railroad buffs at the museum suggested that they drive to the city park to see the "Big Boy" 4884 articulated steam locomotive.  There are only six of these 139' long, 4000 series steam locomotives still in existence.  It weighs more than 1,000,000 pounds and holds 22,000 gallons of water.

Next, Kathe and Jim went to the Cheyenne Days Frontier Museum where they have one of the nation's largest collection of horse drawn vehicles.  This museum is dedicated to the Cheyenne Frontier Days Rodeo which began in 1897 and claims to be even bigger than the one in Calgary.

The last stop today was the Historical Governor's Mansion.  It was built in 1904 and was the residence used by Wyoming's Governors until 1976.  The Colonial Revival mansion has been completely restored and reflects the different decorating styles of several periods of history. Jim liked the fallout shelter in the basement from the Cold War era.  Kathe's favorite room was the 1937 kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment